Some pics from another quick dash along the high section of Hadrian’s Wall today, followed by pub refreshment, (posted via the mobile for the first time too)!
Parked at Housesteads walked up and along to Winshield Crags then turned around taking the same route back, except for a slightly quicker bypass for the last mile as the pub food was calling:-) The forecasted rain arrived on the pull up to Winshields for around 20mins, then returned for the last 5 mins. Apart from that it was surprisingly warm and I was down to just my base layer for the first time in weeks. Very busy too, a common experience at weekends, with groups of backpackers and families.
Started at 11.10am, it took 1hr 17 to the top at a fast walking pace, have done quicker, back to the car for 2pm. Just made it to the Dipton Mill Inn south of Hexham for a soup, creamy lemon tart and wonderful Hexhamshire Brewery beer. They’ve brewed a new ale there too, Ardley Bitter, named after an area in the Shire but also cos it’s quite strong so ‘hardly bitter’. How we laughed. Nice pint though!
Pics were a bit dark in the rain until things brightened up.
- Distance = 7.45 miles ( 12 km)
- Duration = 2 hours 45 mins (walked fast non stop with 15 mins on top)
- Total Ascent = 985 ft (300 m)
- Start/Finish = Housesteads Nat Trust Car park
- Date = Sun 6th April 2014, start 11.10am, finish 1.55 pm
- Click on Route Map below to zoom in/out
More pics & detail on this highly recommended walk;-
- A Quick New Years Day Walk on Hadrians Wall + Beer
- Another Quick Wintry Walk on the High Section of Hadrians Wall